Friday, November 22, 2013

If I Could Turn Back Time

You get to choose one superpower. Pick one of these, and explain your choice: 

the ability to speak and understand any language 
the ability to travel through time
the ability to make any two people agree with each other

Oh BlogHer, you are making these too easy for me.  Obviously, I am going to chose the ability to travel through time.

IMG_8048

The primary reason is that this suspiciously sounds like that super power comes with the title of Time Lord, and what Doctor Who loving girl would not want that?

But, additionally, I think that being able to travel through time would provide me with amazing educational opportunities.  Imagine being able to watch the Gettysburg Address live and in person.  Seeing the hanging gardens of Babylon.  Being present for the birth of our nation.  So many amazing moments in history could actually come alive!  I find this so exciting.

Being able to travel through time indicates that I could travel forward, as well as back.  Therefor I think it would be amazing to see where the country will be in another 100 years.  To go forward for the inauguration of the first female president.  See the triumphant day when cancer is cured forever.

With any power comes responsibility however, and I assume this hypothetical scenario is no different.  It would be difficult to fight the urge to stop horrible things from happening.  Stop Hitler.  Prevent Columbine.  Warn New Orleans about Katrina.  And stop myself from getting some of those perms in the 90s.  Yet, those moments are fixed in history, and could not be changed, for fear altering the future or creating a paradox.  Knowing that one false move could end humanity forever is heavy stuff.  Similarly, it would be hard to fight the urge to alter my personal history.  Prevent my own death.  Get the winning lottery numbers for next week.

Now that I think about it, I am not sure I want the responsibility that comes with being able to travel through time.  Unless, of course, I get to do it with The Doctor.

NaBloPoMo November