Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tiffany's Tuesday Tunes: E is for Earworm

It has probably happened to you.  You notice that you are humming, whistling, or singing a song, and wonder, "where did that song come from, why is it stuck in my head?".  Maybe you heard it in the grocery store, maybe it was playing on a television commercial, perhaps a memory triggered it.  Regardless of the cause, the song is lodged deep in the grey matter of your brain, and it will not come out.  Sure, you can try listening to something else, but in the moments of stillness, the original song creeps back in.  It lurks in the shadows and around the corners.  It will find you, my friend, because you are being stalked.  By an earworm.

36660_409550839059_3526453_n

Last weekend I saw a wonderful live performance by John Hodgman, and he closed the show by singing the Mr. Rogers song "It's Such a Good Feeling".  That song is so sweet, the moment was so real and touching, and we all sang along.  I, however, continued singing the song the next day.  And the next day.  And the next.  4 days later, my cerebrum is now a junkie, waiting for its next hit of of this song.  Eventually, my brain will detox, but until then, I will just enjoy the ride.

As far as earworm songs go, this one is not too bad; the song is sweet, easy to sing, and the person most likely to catch me singing it (Hubby) already knows why I am singing it, so no embarrassing questions about why I am on a Mr. Rogers kick.  But some earworms are pervasive and annoying and totally inappropriate.  I polled a few of my friends on social media, recalled my own past earworm adventures, and talked to Hubby about his own battles with earworms, and came up with what may be the most annoying playlist ever.  I apologize in advance.

"It's such a good feeling, to know you're alive. It's such a happy feeling, a feeling inside that when you wake up ready to say, I think I'll make a snappy new day *snap snap*."

Crap.