Friday, August 16, 2013

Explorations: Cake Concepts

One of the things I miss most about living and working in the city was having access to all kinds of neat specialty shops.  Whether the stores sold clothing, food items, or tchotchkes, there were always interesting things to see.  Which is why I am so excited that Kittanning is getting some new shops.

IMG_8199

One of the new shops that I have been wanting to check out is a new cake bakery, called Cake Concepts.  Since going gluten free, however, I have not had much reason to buy cake or cupcakes.  But this week, my niece is visiting.  When I asked her if she likes cupcakes, her response was, "Uh YEAH, duh" so I knew I finally had a reason to visit.

IMG_8202

Yesterday we walked into the store, and I swear it was like visiting the childhood dream of the perfect tea party.  Everything was pink, and elegant, and beautiful.  I absolutely love the way the store looks.  I could have spent hours in there, even though I cannot eat anything there.  That is how lovely it is.  After taking in the cuteness of the shop, I spied the cupcakes.  Oh, they all looked so delicious!  The specialty cupcakes were Key Lime and Chunky Monkey.  Um, yummmy!  There were also plain iced cupcakes, and filled cupcakes.  DARN YOU GLUTEN INTOLERANCE.  I bought half a dozen for my niece and for Hubby.

IMG_8209

IMG_8211


I was talking to one of the owners, and explaining my gluten intolerance.  She said they are currently working on recipes for gluten free and sugar free cupcakes to add to their offerings.  She said they are taking their time to find really delicious recipes, which I totally respect.  No one wants a subpar product just because it is the only GF thing available.  So, I look forward to the day that they release GF cupcakes for sale.  

IMG_8205

When we got back into the car, my niece wanted to eat a cupcake immediately.  It was all I could do to get her to wait for me to drive the few blocks home, because she said they just looked that good.  And once we got home, she sampled them and assured me they really WERE that good.  I snuck a swipe of the icing, and it was delicious.

IMG_8204

The atmosphere is wonderful, the owners are friendly and helpful, the product is delicious, and the price is really reasonable.  So, what are you waiting for?  Go get a cupcake from Cake Concepts, and you can thank me later!

Note: This post was not sponsored in any way, nor was I approached to do a review of this business.  I simply wanted to share this great shop with my readers and encourage people to support local small town businesses!