Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thankful for... too many hobbies.

IMG_1929Because I am not currently working, I have a lot of time to devote to my hobbies.  It has unlocked my own form of creativity.  Nearly three years ago (has it been that long, really?) I returned to blogging with a fresh perspective as a newlywed.  And I loved every minute of it.  I also chose to combine another one of my favorite hobbies, reading, with this new hobby, and began writing a book review blog.  I had no idea what that was going to turn into.  Since then, I have read and reviewed over 400 books.  That is more than some people read in a lifetime!

Blogging also sparked a passion for photography.  I wanted nice, pretty pictures for my posts, and before you know it, I am taking an adult ed class in photography.  While I am extremely amateur, I think my skills have vastly improved.

So blogging led to photography, which led to pictures of what I cook.  And I cook a lot.  One of the greatest ways I contribute to our household is by creating delicious, healthy, cost effective meals.  Because I am proud of my creations, and because they are often just so pretty and tasty looking, I take pictures and share them on my social media sites (yet another hobby).

All of these things snowballed into me doing something today I have been considering for a while... I finally created my own food and cooking blog, entitled The Occasional Veggie.  I will probably start posting all my recipes and food pictures over there as opposed to here, so be sure to follow that blog as well!

It seems, often, that I have too many hobbies (the above are just a few).  Obviously, I cannot focus on all of them at once, and the balance changes often depending on what else is going on in my life.  But I love that I have so many outlets for creativity.  These are the things that keep me mentally sharp, constantly learning, and forever improving.  I am thankful that I have so many opportunities to explore.


typewriter