Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thankful for... Secret Agent L

Photo from the Secret Agent L website
Over two years ago, I was introduced to the Secret Agent L project.  Secret Agent L, a.k.a. Laura, is a woman living in Pittsburgh who made it her personal mission to spread kindness where ever she goes.  Inspired by her example, hundreds of people all over the world have joined in the project as Affiliate Agents, performing top secret missions of kindness, which Laura then posts on the Secret Agent L website.

Today's world is full of cynicism, hatred, anger, bitterness, and jealousy.  One only need to read facebook or the comments sections of online news articles to see that.  At times, breaks my heart and makes me absolutely ashamed of society.  And then, I remember Laura.  It has been 2 years now since I joined the Secret Agent L project as an Affiliated Agent.  Since then, not only have I performed missions specifically for the project, I have also tried to let the spirit of the project take over my whole life.  Laura's mantra is "Be Kind, No Exceptions".  I try hard to live up to that.  I fail, a lot.  But I am trying.  And I see a difference in my life, in my relationships, in the way I view the world, and the way I view myself.  I am telling you, kindness is a powerful thing.

Beyond being a part of this project, I also know Laura in real life.  She is a busy woman (actress, model, working professional woman, member of the board of directors for the National Alliance on Mental Illness of Southwestern PA, public speaker, and all around beacon of awesome), so I do not get to see her that often. Which is why I was so happy I got to see her last week.  Laura has the amazing ability to make each person feel like the most important person in the room.  She sees value in everyone, and always has kind things to say.  When the prettiest person you know calls YOU pretty, it feels kind of amazing.  Laura has the kindest heart of everyone I know.  She gives so much of herself, even to people she does not know.

I am really lucky to have Laura as a friend and role model.  But more than being lucky, I am thankful.

(P.S. If you are interested in becoming an Affiliated Agent, and I really hope you are, please visit the Secret Agent L website to learn how!)

typewriter