Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thankful for... good health

UntitledIn the last 30 days, I have been under the weather an awful lot.  It started with a cold that Hubby had, which got passed to me, just before Halloween.  I was down with that for about 2 weeks.  And earlier this week I was just feeling sort of blah.  I feel a little blah a lot of the time, and it is typically related to my digestion.  I suspect that I have a lot of food related sensitivities and intolerances which contribute to that.  I currently suspect a gluten intolerance, something my mom has been suggesting for years.

Luckily, I have the ability to improve my health in a lot of ways.  Just last month, at my annual checkup, I learned that I dropped my cholesterol pretty significantly.  It could still stand to be a little lower, and I am working on that now.  In addition, my blood pressure is much better than it was at the beginning of the year.  I attribute a lot of these positive changes to alterations we have made to our diet.  The idea of possibly having to go gluten free kind of scares me, but lately I have been toying with gluten free and vegetarian meals, with mostly positive outcomes.

I am not one to say that my way of cooking or my lifestyle in general is the right one for everyone, so when other people push miracle diets/products/lifestyles on me, I tend to bristle a bit.  I think health is something that is extremely personal, and ones health or lifestyle needs change over time.

I look at what some other people I know have dealt with, or are dealing with, and I am thankful for my health, thankful for a body that works the way I want it to (most of the time- getting old kind of sucks though!), thankful for access to wonderful healthcare, and thankful for the opportunity to improve my health with the choices I make.  I am far from being the poster girl for health and wellness, but nevertheless, I am thankful.

typewriter