Thursday, May 3, 2012

In the Big City: Toonseum

I have a whole backlog of topics I have been wanting to write about and just had not gotten around to it, so today I am digging out one of those topics.

As readers know, Hubby and I are always looking for fun things to do in Pittsburgh, since it is only an hour away.  A few months ago, Groupon offered a deal on admission to the Toonseum, and Hubby and I jumped at the opportunity.  We finally went this winter.

111


The Toonseum is a museum completed dedicated to cartooning, one of only 3 in the country!  One may not realize what an art form cartooning is, but the Toonseum will help to teach this fact.  The first thing I noticed was the place was awash in color and fun.  No stuffy quiet dusty exhibits here.  A lot of iconic cartoon characters and artists are featured throughout the museum, and one room is nothing but prints of Sunday comic strips from the same day, which was probably my favorite part.

090

104


101


We had a complete blast, and Hubby even got to sit at a read cartoonists table and draw a picture.
110

As some of you may recall, Hubby likes to draw cartoons every so often.

Pittsburgh is chock full of fun, cultural places to visit and things to do. And we love doing these things. But we also like to act like kids now and then, which is why the Toonseum was a perfect place for us to visit. I really encourage all in the Pittsburgh area to visit Tooneseum, at least once, but be careful of the falling anvils!

089