Friday, April 27, 2012

Review: Kashi Banana Chocolate Chip Bars

IMG_1482 I recently had the opportunity to review the Kashi Banana Chocolate Chip Soft n Chewy Bars.  I am a longtime fan of the Kashi brand, it is a brand I trust to provide healthy, delicious foods.  I had a feeling that this bar would live up to my high standards, otherwise Kashi would not be making it.  That feeling proved to be completely accurate.

The first thing I took notice of was the nutritional info.  Each bar contains 4 grams of fiber, 7 whole grains, 1/2 serving of fruit, 1/2 serving of vegetables, only 3 grams of fat, 3 grams of protein, and only 140 calories.  In terms of a snack, this is pretty good.  While still a processed snack, this is a lot healthier than some on the market.

As I opened the package, I was struck by how the bar itself really looked exactly like the picture on the box.  That is so rarely the case.  Same dark brown color, same oats on top.  It looked pretty delicious.


IMG_1488

As I tore a bite off of the bar, I noticed it was not as moist as I would have liked.  It is still a soft, chewy, texture, just a bit dry.  The flavor was actually really good.  It was not overly sweet, in any artificial way, and I thought the banana flavor was just right.  It did not have an artificial banana flavor, the flavor was subtle, mellow, but still detectable.  The same can be said for the chocolate, there are not too many chips, just enough to give the bar the perfect blend of tastes.

All in all, I was really pleased with the bar, as was my husband.  We are big fans of the chocolate banana combination, and this bar is a healthy way to satisfy a sweet tooth.  My only complaint is that it is indeed a little dry, so it would be best paired with a glass of water, or even a cup of coffee.  All in all, I think I can safely say I plan on buying more of these in the future.