Saturday, January 28, 2012

Review: Popchips Sweet Potato Chips

I am always looking for healthy, low calorie snacks, so when I heard about Popchips, I was intrigued.  They are crunchy chips that are not fried, and not baked, but created using heat and pressure to make them pop into being.  Since I love sweet potato chips in general, I thought I would give these a try.

The first thing I noticed was the color.  They looked a bit lighter in color to other sweet potato chips I have tried, and I think this is due to them not being fried.  They really looked the same color as fresh, cooked sweet potatoes.  I did not notice any particular smell, other than good old sweet potatoes.  So far so good.


In terms of taste, I thought they tasted great.  The chips were nice and crispy, with only a hint of salt, so you really got to enjoy the naturally sweet flavor.  I can really see that these will help satisfy cravings for something crunchy, something salty, something sweet, and especially something that is all three.

The texture is definitely not that of a typical potato chip.  They are lighter, crisper, and airy, not as dense as a rice cake, but not as greasy as a typical chip.  All in all, I was really pleased with them.  Someone looking for a healthy replacement, or enjoys other veggie chip type snacks would really like these, I think.  For a die hard chip lover, these would might not satisfy you upon first taste, but give them a couple of chances; personally I loved them.

With the snack size bag being 100 calories, I am pretty sold on these as a healthy snack alternative.  This would be a great addition to a sandwich for lunch, or an in-between meal snack.  I am happy to add Popchips to my snack rotation.