Thursday, November 3, 2011

That awful moment when you learn a lesson the hard way

Photo Source
I have been a cell phone owner for 12 or 13 years.  For the first few, I never really used the cell phone much.  So, for about 10 years I have been an avid cell phone user.  For the last several year, we have used cell phones exclusively, without having a land line.  I use my phone to track appointments, write grocery lists, to track calories, and as my alarm clock.  So, my cell phone is pretty much my main way to keep track of life.

As long as I have been an avid, daily cell phone user, I have always talked on the phone while I was in the bathtub.  It was a way for me to relax and talk to my mom or my girlfriends.  Never, ever, not once, have I ever gotten even a drop of water on my phone.  Sometimes, I even use my kindle or tablet to read in the tub.  Again, never a problem, because I am super careful.

I guess there is a first time for everything.

The other day, I was taking a bath to de-stress.  I had tried to call my mom, and was unable to reach her, so I sat the phone on the edge of the tub (like I have done a million times).  At precisely the moment I took my hand away, my cat jumped up and knocked the phone into the bath water.

I just could not move fast enough to prevent it.

I wanted to throw up.  And strangle the cat.

Quickly, we removed the cover, tried to dry out the phone as best we could, and put it in a container of brown rice for 24 hours.  Miraculously, the phone does seem fully functional.  In the time where my phone was drying out, I had to use an old one, which seemed so clunky, so I am glad to have my phone back.

I have completely learned my lesson.

My cat will no longer be allowed in the bathroom.