Monday, November 7, 2011

Thankful for.... a messy kitchen

Photo Source

These days, it seems my kitchen is always a mess.  Dirty dishes piled up in the sink, trash that needs to be taken out, groceries to be put away.  And truth be told, it makes me incredibly happy.

Do not get me wrong, I hate the mess, and I hate extra clean up.  I am blessed the Hubby is always willing to help clean up in the kitchen.  It is the reason behind the mess for which I am so thankful.

I have always loved to cook.  I grew up in a family where both parents cooked and we went or ordered out to eat.  Going out to eat was a special occasion thing, but there was nothing as comforting and bonding as the family sitting down at our own table for a home cooked meal.  I started cooking when I was in high school.  Just easy things at first, following simple recipes.  As I got older, I began being more adventurous with cooking, plus I paid more attention to how my parents cooked.  So, by the time I moved out on my own, I was well equipped to cook up a storm.

The only thing lacking.... someone to eat it.  I quickly realized I hated cooking for just one person, and began a lot of poor eating habits that plague me to this day.  Every once in a while, I would plan an elaborate dinner party for friends, but for the most part, my life was a table for one.

Then, I met Hubby.  And he was pretty excited that he had a girl who could cook.  When we were dating, he would come to see me, and I would cook up full meals, including dessert.  I was thrilled to be able to cook for him, and he was thrilled to have home cooked meals.  When we were engaged and house hunting, it was the kitchen that sold me on our home.  It was short on storage space, but had wonderful appliances with which I could create culinary masterpieces.

Lately, I have been extra motivated to cook.  It helps keep my diet healthy, and saves us money in the long run.  I am sure you can tell I am in cooking mode, given the number of recipes I have posted lately.  You can imagine the mess all this cooking has done.  Actually, if you look closely in some of the pictures, you can probably see it ;)

I love my messy kitchen (though I also love it clean) because to me, it signifies that I am happy, motivated, and providing healthy meals full of love for my family.