Sunday, May 15, 2011

Thankful for ... broken dishes

IMG_2438

We have a fairly small kitchen, in the sense that there is not a lot of counter space.  It is very easy to run out of room for our dishes in the sink or drying rack.  Often, we find ourselves playing jenga with the dishes, piling them high, and later trying to remove them without the whole thing crashing down.

Last weekend, Hubby graciously washed the dishes, and as usual, we ran out of space.  He rearranged them all, and had them perched just so, to allow for the optimal drying to space saving ratio.  He went upstairs to check his email before we embarked on a project, and while he was up there, something bad happened.  The tower shifted, and the next thing I know, I huge crash resounded throughout the first floor.

I timidly walked into the kitchen, knowing it would be bad.  There, on the floor, were the remains of 3 of the dinner plates from our 8 place set.  Hubby was so upset.

The funny thing is, however, I really was not.  I even tried to joke with him, telling him there were easier ways to let me know he did not like washing dishes (he was not amused).  We had gotten the set as part of our wedding registry, and before this incident, several of the plates, bowls, and mugs had cracked or broken.  They were unfortunately not of high quality, despite being fairly pricey.

I know a lot of women would have been so angry if something like this had happened, but honestly, I was more upset about Hubby feeling bad.  This was so totally not his fault.  He sadly said "go buy whatever dishes you want".  Many wives would have gone and taken the opportunity to buy expensive or fancy dishes, but instead I opted for an inexpensive set, and a new tablecloth to tie the color in with our dining room decor.

IMG_8410



Maybe I am not like most wives, who would complain or be angry over this incident.  In the grand scheme of life, I really do not care about something as inconsequential as our dishes.  Shoot, I would eat off of paper plates for the rest of my life, so long as I was sitting down to dinner with my Hubby.