Friday, May 6, 2011

My First Time

Well folks, it finally happened.  Something I had been both dreading and looking forward to for a long time now.  Today, it was my first time... cutting grass.

IMG_6975


As a kid, my dad always did the grass cutting, so I never learned how to use a lawnmower.  I figured I would either live in an apartment, or be married and have my husband do it.  And for years, I got away with that working.  Hubby did all the grass cutting last year.  However, his work schedule has him getting home a little later now, and will be even later next month, so by the time he gets home, the grass is too wet with dew to mow, and waiting until the weekends does not work.  First off the grass is too high, and secondly, it has been raining most weekends lately.  So, I came up with a plan.

Since I am afraid of unfamiliar with the workings of a gas powered mower, I convinced Hubby that we should buy a manual lawn mower.  You know, the old fashioned kind, with no motor.  So, he humored me, and we got one that looks like this.

Photo source
Now, I am pretty sure Hubby was betting on me never actually being the one to use this mower.  I am sure he figured I was too lazy busy to actually get the grass cut.  To my dear doubtful darling's defense, I have been feeding him empty promises of how I will learn to play Illuminati for well over a year now (I really do want to learn Hubby), so it is only natural that he be suspect of my plan.

But today, I proved him wrong.  I hauled that manual mower up from the basement, and I cut our grass.  Now, being that this was the first time I ever did it, I had no clue what I was doing.  Are you supposed to just do straight lines, follow some sort of pattern, what?  With the wheels being so big, I could not get up against the fence too well, so that will need weedwacking, and I could not move the patio table, so I mowed under it as best as I could.  But other than that, the yard is done.

I will never claim that this is the best haircut our lawn ever got.  I certainly did not do a perfect job.  In fact, I am not even sure I did a passable job.  But the point of the matter is, there was a job to do, and I did it.  And in true Tiffany fashion, I did it in a dress.