Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Word Filled Wednesday: Mending Fences

Let him take hold of my strength, that he may make peace with me; and he shall make peace with me.
--Isaiah 27:5, KJV

Peace.  Making peace.  Sounds so easy, but in reality, pretty difficult to do.  Because making peace with something, or someone, often means coming to terms with something you do not like.  I do not like coming to terms with the fact that I am wrong, or have done something wrong.  But because I am human, I do things wrong all the time.  Yet God still grants me opportunities to make and seek peace.

This past weekend, I had an opportunity to seek peace and mend a fence with a friend of mine.  We had a bit of a misunderstanding a few weeks ago, something that in reality should never have happened, things were misinterpreted, other people weighed in on the situation, and before either of us knew it, we were both left hurt and frustrated.  And instead of talking to each other about it, we just sort of both turned away from each other.

But God, being ever gracious and merciful, presented an opportunity for the two of us to talk about what happened.  So, we met for breakfast one day, and kind of poured our hearts out, and presented our points of view.  Apologies were made by both of us, and both of us agreed that it was a frivolous argument to have had in the first place.  We both took it as an opportunity to grow and learn.  And while I cannot speak for my friend, I know that I walked away with a tremendous sense of peace.

In order to find peace in this situation, and repair this relationship and have forgiveness, I had to admit that I had made a mistake.  I had to apologize.  There is no other way to make amends.  If one does not acknowledge wrongdoing or apologize, how can forgiveness be granted?  In the Catholic Church, one of the rituals we consider a sacrament is Confession and Reconciliation.  But in order to be forgiven during the confession of sin, one must admit that you know you sinned, that it was wrong, and one must be sorry for it.  It just makes logical sense.

I am thankful that God forgives my sins.  I am thankful that my friend and I were able to mend fences.  And I am thankful that I was presented with yet another opportunity for peace.