Friday, October 22, 2010

Not your everyday pumpkins

 If you have not figured it out by now, I really love Halloween.  I am not sure why, I just do.  And one of my favorite parts of the season is the glorification of the pumpkin.  I love pumpkins, both as food and decoration.  I decided I wanted to make pumpkin soup a while ago, and could not find canned pumpkin, so I bought 3 small baking pumpkins, convinced I would make my own pumpkin puree.  When I found the canned stuff the next day, I opted to use it for the soup instead and was left with the pumpkins.

While I love carving pumpkins (last year I did 5, no joke) and baking the seeds, these were too small for that, and I knew I was never going to be ambitious enough to cook them and make the puree to freeze, so I decided to do something different.  I painted them.  But not the average painting, oh no, no faces or anything.

I painted to 2 bigger ones black, and the smaller one white, then used orange and purple paint to put designs on them.  I was going to get real elaborate, and then seal them with mod podge, until I realized they were either going to be rotten in 10 days, or destroyed by the neighborhood kids, so, I just kind of tried to be artsy.

Here is the result:





 I then decided to put them outside.  I had found some cute little lanterns at Target, and we light candles in them at night, so I am hoping it will be a nice effect.





We may still carve a pumpkin, if we make it to the Renshaw Farm and Pumpkin Patch on Sunday.  But if not, the porch still looks pretty cute.