Saturday, September 25, 2010

Do you remember....Saturday morning cartoons?

This morning, I woke up feeling nostalgic, and having a yen for some good old fashioned Saturday morning cartoons.  Hubby turned on the tv, and you know what he found on all the major networks?  News.  NEWS.  I mean, ok, I get it, it's 8 am on a Saturday, but when I was a kid, by 8 am I had watched the Smurfs, Flintstones, Bugs Bunny, and Gummy Bears all do their thing.  Still, I know, times have changed, and this is cable, but not everyone has cable (they don't?) so what do those kids watch?  I tried PBS, and what did we find?  Some technology show.  BOOOOORING, I mean not for me, but for a 6 year old kid who wants to watch talking animals, yawn.

What ever happened to the days of Saturday morning cartoons? I know, I know, there are entire cable networks devoted to cartoons now, and do you know what they were showing on Saturday morning? Spongebob flippin Squarepants.  Now, I will cop to watching me some Spongebob occasionally.  But, that is NOT Saturday morning cartoons.  Saturday morning cartoons are something special, to be savored in the mote filled sunshine of a fall Saturday morning, with powdered sugar donuts and chocolate milk.  Spongebob, well, he is on t.v. every friggin minute it seems.

So, here I am, 32 years old, literally craving some Looney Toons like nobody's business.

Hubby contends that Saturday morning cartoons died because parents have been socially bullied into entering their kids into every extracurricular activity on earth, lest they be deemed bad parents.  Therefore, kids have no time for t.v.  Maybe.  I guess t.v. on demand just makes the experience of cartoons a less special event, since kids can watch whatever, whenever, either on t.v. or online.  And that is not a bad thing, really, but I can't help but miss the ritual of Saturday morning cartoons.