Friday, August 13, 2010

Happy Friday the 13th!

I have never been one to buy into the whole Friday the 13th superstition really.  I know there is a whole history behind the day, one I will not recount here, but it never really got to me.  Until now that is.  My day has gone smashingly, and it is not even noon yet.

It started off at 3 am.  Hubby and I had gone to sleep at about 11:30, and all seemed normal in the neighborhood.  So, when I woke up at 3 am smelling smoke, I was alarmed to say the least.  I woke up Hubs, who at first could not smell it.  Finally, he realized that the smell of smoke was indeed wafting through our house.  Yet, no smoke detector was going off.  My concern was for the outlet in our bedroom, with which we previously had trouble, and just had replaced on Monday.  Quickly, we realized someone in the neighborhood had a bonfire.  How late must their little party have started, since it was after we went to bed?  Also, are bonfires even allowed in town?  I was annoyed to say the least.  Waking up to the smell of smoke is so scary!

I finally got back to sleep, and was only half awake when Hubs was getting ready for work this morning.  He kissed me goodbye, and went downstairs.  I heard him let out a noise.  Now, it is not unusual for him to have skirmishes with the cat, and that is what I figured was happening, so I yelled out, "What is going on down there?" more as a warning to the two of them to settle down than as an actual question.  Imagine my surprise when Hubs yells out "There is a BIRD in here!!!".

I threw on my robe and went down the steps, and before I got to the bottom, I was greeted by the site of Hubby, broom in right hand, dust pan in left, chasing this flying thing around our living room.  He says it was a bird, I say it was a bat.  We have decided to compromise and determined it was Edward Cullen.
So, Hubby was trying desperately to get this bird bat Edward to leave our house, and it just kept flying round and round.  Then, I heard him shriek unlike anything I have ever heard before.  Apparently, it landed on him.  At that point, we lost sight of the enemy, and we think it slunk out the back door, but for all we know, it could be sleeping in the basement, preparing for a second air attack at 2200 hours.

Hubby asked what I wanted to do, and like a big baby I of course wanted him to stay home from work and protect me, but I knew I could not ask him to do that, because I knew if I asked, he totally would, and then I would feel bad for making him miss work over something so silly.  So, I am hiding out in the bedroom for the most part.  I did go downstairs to feed the dog and grab a turkey sandwich for breakfast (it was faster than making cereal or oatmeal, DON'T JUDGE ME!).

So, that is how my Friday the 13th is going.  How is yours?