Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Word Filled Wednesdays: Am I a noble wife?


Proverbs 12:4 A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.

Scripture has several passages to describe the worth of a good wife.  Proverbs 31 gives us a good outline of what a noble wife does, but I often wonder if I actually am being a noble wife.

I married later in life that most of my peers.  Not that 31 was all that old to get married, but I had figured on being married in my 20's, so it felt later in life to me.  Yet this delay in my status as a wife has been a blessing, for several reasons.  First, it allowed me to meet the one I was created to be with.  I believe with all my heart that Hubby and I were created for each other.  God knew it when He formed us.  How do I know?  He told me.  Scripture tells us He knew us in our mother's wombs, and could count the hairs on our heads.  He knows the plans He has for us.  So, trust me, He knew it all along. 

Another equally important reason I am glad I waited to become a wife is because it allowed me so much time to grow.  While I often ponder my positive and negative wifely attributes now, I can tell you whole heartedly that had I married in my 20's, as I desired, I would have been a terrible wife.  Oh, I would still have been able to good a good dinner, and keep a decent house, but the far more important duties, at those I would have failed miserably.

I try my very best to support my husband, because he certainly supports me.  He supported my decision to leave my job in the city.  He supports my writing.  He would do anything to make me happy.  I hope he knows I would do the same.

There are plenty of things I need to work on in order to be a noble wife.  I could be a better steward of finances, though we are making fantastic progress and we make all the major decisions together.  I could be more understanding and patient, Lord knows, I definitely could be more patient.  I could show him more appreciation for all he does for me.  I could be more eager and joyful about taking care of our home.  I could be more charitable, both in word and deed.  I could be more mindful that my actions reflect not only on me, but also on my husband.

So clearly, I still have things to work on.  We all do. 

So, am I a noble wife?  Not yet.  But I am working on it, and God is working on me.