Monday, June 14, 2010

Red, White, Blue, and Delicious

I have been promising Hubby for some time now that I would bake something for him to take to work.  I decided tonight I was finally making good on my promise.

I am feeling a little patriotic, due to my recent entrance into local politics (more on that another day) so I decided to make a red, white, and blue cake.

I used a white cake mix, and mixed it up according to directions in my trusty Kitchen Aid mixer.  Once the cake batter was mixed, I used a ladle to put one ladle full of batter each into two bowls.

I then used blueberry jello to color the first bowl a bright blue color, and used strawberry jello to color the second bowl a bright pinky red.

Taking the plain white cake mix, I ladled half the remaining mix into a greased 9x13 pan, and used a spatula to spread over the entire pan.  I then spooned globs of the blue cake mix randomly over the top, and used a butter knife to marble it.  I put the remaining white batter gently on top of this, and spread it as much as possible, then spooned globs of the pinky red mix on top of that.  Once again, I used a butter knife to gently marble the entire cake.  I baked at 350 F for 30 minutes, and this was the result:

I looks pretty great, and smells like Crunch Berries!

After it cooled, I iced it with white icing,
and then the fun part, decorating!

I like to use cookie cutters as stencils to decorate with colored sugar.  So, I used 2 different sizes of star shaped cutters.  You lay the cutter gently on the icing, and carefully spoon in colored sugar.  This works best if you use a baby food spoon or a 1/4 teaspoon measuring spoon.
I put three large stars in the middle, four smaller stars around the edge, then gently sprinkled straces of sugar around the rest of the cake.










Here is a big picture of the finished result:

I am pretty pleased with the cake, I hope Hubby's coworkers like it!